CMBA U11 3 Minute Game Rules
Modified Rules for U11 Division
Total 14 x 3-minute periods
All rules for CMBA league play apply except for the modifications listed below:
Modified Rules: (based on 8 players or more)
- 3 Minute shifts where the buzzer will sound (even during live play) in order to rotate the next 4 players in. Players subbing in should be ready at the score table.
- Periods 2 thru 6 and 8 thru 13 will begin with a thrown-in by the team who had the possession of the ball at the end of the previous period. Play will resume from sideline/baseline closes to the point of interruption at the discretion of the official.
- Period 14 will resume with a throw-in at centre using alternating possession
- No player is to double shift except for the following exceptions:
- A player can play in the last period of the first half (period 7) and start in the 2nd half (period 8). Halftime is considered a reset and this is not considered a double shift
- Period 14 (final period of the game) coachesâ€™ consideration will be given in this period. This includes players that may have played in period 13.
- Score table minor official running the sheet must fill out the player jersey numbers on the tracking sheet to make sure players do not double shift. If the minor official sees that a plyer has double shifted, they are to bring it to the attention of the referee and the coach will be asked to make a substitution.
- Shooting Fouls
- Periods 1 thru 13 - If a player gets fouled in the act of shooting the team will receive 1 point. If a player gets fouled in the act of shooting and scores the basket, the team will receive 3 points. In both scenarios the game will proceed as if a basket was made and the team scored upon will inbound the ball on the baseline. Below is clarification on Period 14
- PERIOD 14 - The final period of the game will be a 3-minute stop time period. During this period, fouls in the act of shooting OR when teams are in the bonus will shoot free throws like a regular game.
- Bonus begins at 10 fouls in each half. For the exception of Period 14, any fouls committed while in bonus will result in an automatic two points for the other team.
- Possession Arrow will be in place for the start of Periods 2 thru 14. Jump ball will take place at the start of the game.
Exceptions to playing time rules:
Less Than 8 players - a team with less than 8 players will have no choice but to double shift at least 1 player each shift. All double shifts must be spread out equally with the players. Example, with 7 players in this format, no player would double shift more than 2 times in the first 13 periods.
Foul Trouble: Players can be substituted at any point with foul trouble. The guideline used for what constitutes foul trouble would be exceeding 2 fouls in the first FOUR periods, exceeding 3 fouls in the first EIGHT periods, or getting 4 fouls in the first TWELVE periods.
Unable to Continue current shift - if player â€œXâ€ gets injured, fouls out or is unable to continue their shift, any player can substitute for the remainder of that shift and it will not be considered a double shift. They are playing on behalf of that player for the rest of the period. However, for all future periods, the playing time rules will apply if player â€œXâ€ is unable to participate for the remainder of the game.
Disciplinary - If a player is not being played for a portion of the game due to circumstances within the team, the players number and length of time the player will be sitting, needs to be indicated on the tracking sheet before the start of the game.
The intent of this format is so all players can get the maximum amount of playing time. This is a tested format that is working in EYBA. We recognize that anytime you modify rules, these rules can be taken advantage at times. We are confident that everyone involved will support the spirit of these rules so that everyone can have a successful experience.