Policy: Mercy Rule
CMBA 40 Point Game Spread Mercy Policy
The CMBA promotes sportsmanship and competition. CMBA realizes that occasionally an imbalance will occur, but many participants still want the opportunity to continue to play.
If one team reaches a lead of forty (40) points at any time, the game will be stopped immediately by the referees and the team in the lead will be credited with the win. At this time both teams will be advised that the game result is official at the current score. Should both coaches agree, play will continue until the total remaining time is completed. The score will not be kept for the remainder of the play (the scoreboard will be zeroed out). The referees will continue to officiate the game and all rules
SPORTSMANSHIP & CONDUCT - Strategies to help Coaches in lopsided games. When the point spread reaches 20 points in U11, 25 points in U13 to U18...coaches should make a strategy change.
Listed below are different strategies that coaches can pick from to use when games can become lopsided. Please use some of these strategies if your team encounters a lopsided game.
- pass a minimum of 5x without calling out the passes
- discourage fast breaks and lay-ups
- In the event of an unbalanced game, coaches are encouraged to discuss strategies at the end of the quarter.
- Only take long range shots.
- Only take one outside shot then don't rebound and fall back
- Ball must touch all teammates before taking the outside shot
- Do everything with only your weak hand (dibbling, passing &shooting)
- No dribbling anymore — passing only
- Lay off the man to man, don't pick up players at half court — back up to the top of the 3 pt line, if no 3 pt line then pick up players between the half court line and the top of the key.
- Hands down on defense, move your feet to get body in the way, beat player to the spot, do not reach out and steal the ball, just deny penetration
- Can only take shots with either 1. a give and go or 2. A drive and dish (B1 - E2)
- Must move the ball by the count of 3 in your head.
- Guards swap positions with forwards and vice versa